Chipping a tooth is an unexpected challenge. Often it is also a dental emergency. If you chipped a tooth and are in pain, contact Dr. Ross’s office today at (559) 732-3972.
There are many situations that may potentially cause a chipped tooth:
- Trauma –Such as bumping your tooth on a hard surface.
- Chewing –Such as biting into an olivepit or hard candy.
- Tooth Decay –Severe tooth decay can cause teeth to chip
There are also several issues that may increase the risk for chipped teeth, such as alcoholism, nighttime tooth grinding (bruxism), and acid reflux.
If you have a chipped tooth, it’s important to take action. Some chipped teeth are more serious than others, but all broken teeth benefit from some type of treatment
Next Steps: With Pain
If your chipped tooth is causing you pain, it is important to see a dentist right away. Pain may indicate that the chipped tooth has touched the root. In that case, the sooner the intervention, the more successful the outcome. You can call us for an emergency appointment, and we can let you know how fast we can get you in. In some cases, you may need a root canal to stop the pain.
If there is no pain, it’s still a good idea to see a dentist as soon as possible. Until we review it closely, it’s possible that there is a risk of further cracking if you eat any hard foods. But it also may be a cosmetic issue. There are many treatments that are available for both cosmetic and functional intervention:
- Dental Fillings–Some chipped teeth only need a dental filling to seal up the tooth and prevent further damage. If possible, this is the option we will explore first.
- Dental Bonding–Bonding is used when the damage to the tooth is visible. Dr. Rossapplies a resin to the missing area and hardens it so that the chip is not visible to the naked eye.
- Dental Crown–For larger chips, you may be a candidate for a crown. We’ll cover the tooth with a tooth-like structure that restores its appearance.
n some cases, you may want to consider Porcelain veneers. Veneers cover the teeth to give them a permanently bright and white appearance. They are one of the most popular types of cosmetic dentistry, and great for those that were already considering a smile makeover.
Chipped teeth need to be addressed quickly, with or without pain. Contact our office in Visaliatoday at (559) 732-3972 and Dr. Rossand his team will do their best to see you assoon as possible.